Friday, May 17, 2013

Myth Busters


Since my last post, Francisco and I have acquired 2 live-in nannies (My parents): “The Stacker” or "the Captain" (Pat) and “The Cather” (Cathy) have arrived! The two got here yesterday and I was a little worried about them being jet-lagged. To help them get adjusted to the new time difference, I made them meals according to Amsterdam’s time zone, I only allowed them to take short naps throughout the day, and I told them they should cuddle up with Ronan and get to bed shortly after they put him down. That’s right, "shortly after they put him down." Woo hoo! Francisco and I were out the door and headed straight to my favourite cafe, “Thuys” with Justin Timberlake on repeat.      

Today, my parents, Ronan and I walked around the city. I don’t know if it was the canals, the laid back people, or the cheese and sausages, but my dad was immediately in love with Amsterdam. I was also impressed with how quickly he adapted to “Euro Style”: He is currently wearing soccer shoes, a scarf and has rolled his jeans up. He had heard there were a lot of pickpocketers in Amsterdam, so he decided he would conduct his own “Myth Buster" Experiment: He hit all of the tourist hot-spots  (Dam Square, Old Amsterdam, Spui Square, The Amsterdam Museum, 9 Straatjes, The Anne Frank Museum and Jordan) with a giant wallet in his back pocket filled with a stack of Canadian Tire bills and old hotel room keys (Which he hoped the pickpocketers would think were credit cards). I think he might be the first person to be disappointed by not being robbed, but the experience seems to have increased (if possible) his love for this city.


Photo Credit: Patrick Walton; graduate of Durham College Photography  101

Photo Credit: Patrick Walton; graduate of Durham College Photography  101

I reminded my dad that tomorrow, we are headed to Brussels, Belgium and he could continue his pickpocket experiment there. His spirits were immediately lifted and he seems very excited for an Amsterdam vs. Brussels challenge. I will be sure to post the results.



4 comments:

  1. Great pics Stacker! Sara, I bet you are having so much fun sharing all of your Amsterdam experiences with the rents. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and love it Sara! I alao love your Dad...haha this experiment is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God I love this blog, it's amazing... Just a fluke I found it. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moe! I'm glad you found it- I should add a "Dominican" post!

      Delete