Thursday, May 9, 2013

Kapsalons & Rollende Keukens


The sausages I mentioned in my last post went over well, Ronan made it through another yoga class and I've found 2 new things to add to my I.A.A List (Ideas from Amsterdam to Adopt):  

11. Hair Spas- Last night, I went to Salon B to get my hair cut and it may have been the best experience of my life. Salon B was more like a hair spa than a salon: Coffee, tea and biscuits are served throughout your appointment, there is a lounge for you to wait in while your hair colour sets, and they sure do take hair washing seriously. You can even pay to get a half hour relaxing head massage/wash!



12. Rollende Keukens (Rolling Kitchens): Francisco, Ronan and I just got back from the 6th annual Rolling Kitchens festival. Iamsterdam explains, "Mobile kitchens descend upon the [Westerpark] at the Westergasfabriek to create an enormous open air restaurant!" There is "Food to suit every appetite on the menu, with everything from fresh Italian pizza to sophisticated seafood dishes."  


After walking around and looking at all of the creatively decorated "kitchens on wheels," I made my pick: The Rolling "Rock" Kitchen. I appreciated that aside from wheeling in their kitchen, these clever cooks also took the time to cart in a stage so their patrons could enjoy some rock n' roll music while they ate. Genius.


"Diner" and "Stage" clearly marked to avoid any confusion
The Cream Cheese Brothers



Ronan is kind of a big deal around here, so we do things like celebrate 6 month birthdays for him.To start his big day off right, I took him to Vondelpark to meet Katharina and Marlene (Born one day before Ronan). On my way home, decided I'd pick up a candle and some desert (Yes, I realize this is weird and basically just an excuse to eat more chocolate and cheese). One problem: Ronan has been trying new foods and seemed to think the desert was something new for him to try. He took the, "It's my party, I can cry if I want to" approach after learning this was not the case. 

"Are you serious?"

The very next day, Ronan found his squealing voice and did the cutest thing: If I didn't give him my full and undivided attention for 1 second, he screamed his head off. Longest. Day. Ever. Luckily, screaming for my attention seems to be a thing of the past and is now something he does to kindly let me know I'm not getting the spoon to his mouth fast enough. 

For Amsterdam Visitors: Check out this amazing site: IamExpat 
There are listings of festivals, things to do, places to eat, maps and some great Amsterdam blogs. Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment